Friday, July 30, 2010

“The Cats’ Meow" Blog # 1 Canadian Issues©Susan Dykhuis, 2010JULY30
Issue # 1 : Canada is No Country for Animals


Please contact your Member of Parliament (Canada) by clicking on the URL and following the instructions.

http://action.wspa.ca/ea-campaign/clientcampaign.do?ea.client.id=23&ea.campaign.id=7298&ea.param.extras=Source%3Aeblast

Demand immediate action from your MP.

Today I wrote my member of Parliament, The Hon. Marlene Jennings <Jennings.M@parl.gc.ca> member of the Opposition, Government of Canada asking that she continue her work on getting tough animal protection laws passed.

I asked Ms. Jennings to insist that Canada:

* enact a law which respects the rights of all animals, aquatic life, flora, insects to live pain-free.
* enact tough farming laws and laws which insist that food animals are killed in the most humane way possible.
* enact a Federal law outlawing puppy/kitten mills thought Canada.
* and that Canadian Animal Protection Law must stipulate that "food" animals are not shipped or trucked thousands of miles to slaughter houses.


My belief is Canadians are humane; time for our Federal Government of Canada enact animal protection laws embracing the desire of the Canadian people vis-a-vis those who cannot speak for themselves.


















“The Cats’ Meow" Blog # 1 Canadian Issues©Susan Dykhuis, 2010JULY30
Issue # 1 : Canada is No Country for Animals

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sasha,

    Thank you for your recent letter regarding animal welfare and animal transport regulations in Canada.

    As you know, I’ve recently been involved in several campaigns aimed at both strengthening Canadian animal cruelty laws while ensuring Canada becomes a world leader in animal welfare protection. Support from Canadians such as yourself was crucial in the adoption of the motion concerning the Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare. From the immediate response to the many petitions have garnered, I am learning that Canadians are passionate about protecting animals. I think there is huge untapped goodwill towards the creation of tougher laws towards animal cruelty.

    I did indeed watch the documentary aired on Global TV on July 28, 2010. I would thus like to take this opportunity reiterate my support for animal welfare issues. As you may know, I am very supportive of updating Canada’s animal welfare legislation, which I believe lags far behind the rest of the world. The range of indictable offenses against animals has barely changed since the original 1892 Criminal Code. That is why I whole heartedly support the Private Member’s Bill C-229 tabled and championed by my colleague, Mark Holland, M.P. His proposed bill would bring Canada’s Criminal Code provisions into the 21st century and it is supported by ALL animal welfare organizations in Canada.

    The second initiative that I support has been initiated by my colleague Alexandra Mendes, M.P. On October 28, 2009, Madame Mendes tabled Bill C-468, which aims at amending the Health of Animals Regulations, to reduce the maximum allowable amount time for transporting animals.

    I believe that people’s attitudes and behaviour towards animals overlap with their attitudes and behaviour towards each other. Animals can’t speak up for themselves, and so we must do it for them. I urge you to get involved in the campaign to make Canada a world leader in animal welfare protection.

    Petitions supporting animal welfare can be found on my website, www.marlenejennings.ca. If you would like to get more involved, I urge you to print out the petitions and pass them around to get some signatures on them. They can then be sent to my office in Ottawa or Montreal, and I will table the petition in the House of Commons.

    Please accept my warmest regards,

    The Honourable Marlene Jennings, P.C., M.P.
    Notre-Dame-de-Grâce—Lachine
    E-mail: jennim@parl.gc.ca

    ReplyDelete